At about 9:30 Wednesday morning, Valentine Fire and Cherry County Ambulance were paged to the report of a fire just east of Crookston. The fire appears to have started in a chicken coop and spread to a neighboring
equipment shed that was reportedly storing some fuel and propane tanks. Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire without any further incident or spread of the flames, and many personnel were able to return back to
Valentine after about an hour on scene. A few others remained to do mop-up operations and monitor the fire. The exact cause of the blaze which occurred on the Whitney Barnes place will be determined by the Nebraska Fire Marshall’s Office.